Randy's Car ??

Talk about Randy Rhoads here.

Moderators: Randy Perry, The Flying Dutchman, Stiltzkin, skezza, Trigger

GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Randy's Car ??

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

I noticed a recent photo of Randy's car over at RRTK and it looked so sad to see it left to rust and deteriate.I know it's his familys choice to do what they think is best but it is one of Randy's possessions which he left behind.They wouldnt leave his guitars uncleaned or looked after (yeah OK his strings went rusty because the guitar PDV case hadn't been opened until it was used for the Crazy Train video) But i think it should be put in a museum or it should be restored or auctioned for charity.It shouldn't be left to go like the "Titanic" if nothing is done now it'll get to the stage that it will have to be scrapped.I know its not really a part of the man the musician but for people who visit it must be a sad reminder when they see the state the car is in.What do you think should be done ? should it just be left ??
Fozzy41
Madman

Post by Fozzy41 »

It is a shame really. I'm sure if it was auctioned off for charity or something similar it would get snapped up, providing it was advertised enough so people actually new it was for sale. But it could also be his Mothers choice to leave it exactly as Randy left it, but it is sad to see it rotting away like that.
frank
Student & Friend of Randy

Post by frank »

i suspect if you were to bring up the subject delores would just smile and shrug her shoulders.
SDBinNY

Post by SDBinNY »

I sappose it is easier to think that way when it is not you who lost your child, GI.I am more than certain that you would react much in the same manor, being in the family's shoes....
Trigger
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Trigger »

This is sad, I have seen many pictures of the car over the years some of which were sent to me by the admin from the other place not too long ago. I am a huge lover of classic VW's and Randy's car is now considered a modern classic.

I am also a great friend of the person who VW use to restore cars for the companies public museum. Should any of you be lucky enough to go to the museum in wolfsburg (Germany) you will see that models like Randy's are thin on the ground. If it were possible to part that car from the family I am confident that I could get it into the museum and have it restored to it's former glory, it would be protected for the future from further damage.

I do however understand Delores reluctance to part with the car, A freind of mine died 15 years ago he had the most rotted car that you could imagine. All these years later that car still sits on his mums drive but now it has fully collapsed in on itself.
I know that holding onto the car is one link to her lost son and in her heart she see's him get out of it that very last time, I have a deep sense of sorrow everytime I pass that rusted hulk on the drive.

On a more positive note regarding Randy's VW the Californian climate is more than dry enough to keep Randy's car in good enough shape for restoration for many years to come. I have purchaed old VW's and VW parts from Cali many of which are much older than Randy's car (and have been less cared for) and all of them were in good restorable order.

The best we can hope for is that one day the car might end up in a place like the museum where it will be cared for.

T
Cologne she'll wear silver and americard, She'll drive a beetle car and beat you down at cool Canasta. And when the clothes are strewn don't be afraid of the room touch the fullness of her breast feel the love of her caress she will be your living end.
TAB
Madman

Post by TAB »

poofters
Last edited by TAB on Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
GUITARIDOL5682
Mass Poster

Post by GUITARIDOL5682 »

SDBinNY wrote:I sappose it is easier to think that way when it is not you who lost your child, GI.I am more than certain that you would react much in the same manor, being in the family's shoes....
Yeah i can see what you are saying but its not like Randy has been dead for a few years its 25 years later come March.I've had both my parents die and yes it is a hard thing to deal with but life goes on...
SLAGER
Cool Member

Re: Randy's Car ??

Post by SLAGER »

Seems as though they want to end Randy's legacy and get as many people to forget about him as possible. Everything about the way Randy's estate and recordings and all else has been handled has hurt him. Just saying my opinion, sorry if that offends some but heck its true and has been a very very long time since he passed on. We have all lost people very close to us and didn't try to stop all others from being happy about remembering that persons life. Frustrating to say the least.
chilinvilin
Cool Member

Post by chilinvilin »

SLAGER wrote:Seems as though they want to end Randy's legacy and get as many people to forget about him as possible. Everything about the way Randy's estate and recordings and all else has been handled has hurt him. Just saying my opinion, sorry if that offends some but heck its true and has been a very very long time since he passed on. We have all lost people very close to us and didn't try to stop all others from being happy about remembering that persons life. Frustrating to say the least.
+1
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

SLAGER wrote:Seems as though they want to end Randy's legacy and get as many people to forget about him as possible.
Nothing could be further from the truth.
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

Heres a Really Good Pic I have of Randys Car
oth
Mass Poster

Post by oth »

didnt they recently get rid of it...the tires and interior must have melted in the sun after 30 yrs.
How to tell a real RR signature: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=726&start=120
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

oth wrote:didnt they recently get rid of it...the tires and interior must have melted in the sun after 30 yrs.
I heard that they moved it into the garage recently. I can't imagine having a car in my driveway, not moving, for 30 days, let alone 30 years!

I'm assuming it must have been comforting for his mom to come home and see the car in the driveway. People deal with the pain of loss in different ways.
DMRX
Mass Poster

Post by DMRX »

Agreed Paul,I too remember hearing that they pulled it into the garage.
Who knows?I am pretty sure though that we would have heard if they had gotten rid of it ,I mean im sure there are alot of us that would have bought it if they were considering getting rid of it:) Lots of people deal w/loss differently ,from my understanding Randys Bedroom is just the same as it was the last time he left it in 1982,remember the talk from when they were filming tthe Documentary & Mrs.Rhoads wouldnt let them film Randys bedroom & there was some kind of problem w/the Dakota crew trying to film thru the Bars on the outside of his windows that were installed in the early 80s out of fear of Crazed fans trying to Rob Randys room???I bet Randys Car still has Winstons in the ashtray or Randys 8-tracks or whatever random stuff that could have been left in there.lol...even his Keychain would be Cool to see
Paul Wolfe
Mass Poster

Post by Paul Wolfe »

DMRX wrote:Lots of people deal w/loss differently ,from my understanding Randys Bedroom is just the same as it was the last time he left it in 1982...
With a tad bit more dust I would think :wink: